Monday, January 25, 2016

Here Ye, Here Ye Mortals of this Church

Friends! Family! People of my life that I love!

Hi. :)

I must say, each week I feel like I am getting better and better in learning the area and people and also in knowing how to help the work progress.  I am always thinking about what will help the members and people in the area.  We are trying to meet with the ward mission leaders and other ward leaders to find ways to motivate the members in assisting us with the work...We are useless without them!


For example, Bishop Root (he is a very young bishop of one of our family wards) and his wife helped us get a new investigator, Holly.  Holly's kids are in the same class as the Root kids.  Holly was telling Sister Root about some hard things happening in her life.  Sister Root suggested that she get a priesthood blessing and meet with the missionaries...So that's exactly what happened!! Holly is our new investigator! We taught her the message of the restoration and I am excited to continue to teach her.  She has met with the missionaries a little before, but didn't progress cause she wants to be a part of all religions and doesn't believe in just ONE true church.  Let's hope and pray that she will feel the Spirit testify of the truthfulness of this church.  But back to my original point, we would not have found Holly without the Roots!

Bishop Root's son, Bryce, is getting baptized next month and they requested that we teach him the lessons.  Bryce is just about as crazy as a 7 year-old can be, but I love that kid.  I love the whole Root family!! You can definitely feel the Spirit and see how the gospel blesses their home.

Lots of this week consisted of knocking on doors of less active members and no one answering, but there were also so many successful moments too!

On Wednesday there was a worldwide missionary broadcast...Man, some great things were said!!  We heard from Elder Anderson, Elder Bednar, Elder Oaks, Sister Oscarson, and some other general authorities.  The focus/topic of the broadcast was, "Teach Repentance, Baptize Converts."  If I could make you watch it, I would.  But I will just share one specific thing I learned.
Elder Oaks said, (Imagine him kinda pounding on the pulpit (sorta like Elder Holland, but not...like Elder Oaks. haha))

"Proclaiming the gospel is the most important thing work anyone can do in mortality."

THE MOST important work...for ANYONE!

This does not mean you have to serve a mission.

This does not mean you need to wear a name tag every day.

This means that if you are a mortal, proclaiming the gospel is a duty of EVERY member of this church.

I'm pretty sure all y'all are mortals, so this applies to you.

I just want to stress member missionary work...You must do the finding and teaching by example and word...You/We ALL are full-time missionaries for our entire life.

Without the gospel, our lives are nothing.  It is the center to everything we do.  Jesus Christ is the center.  We need to show and share this amazing gift with the people we interact with.  It can be easy... The Lord didn't say, "Open your mouth and you won't be scared." He said, "Open your mouths and they shall be filled." (D&C 33:10)  Share with someone how the gospel is helping you.  We have a promise that the Lord will help us if we only try.

There is my gospel rant...ha  I love it. I love Jesus.  And that is why I am here.

On Thursday we had more training by President Winder for the new missionaries.  There's so much to learn and apply! I love applying though.  It feels so good when you feel yourself improving by applying.

My favorite day this week was Saturday.  People were actually home and that means they answer their doors! haha We were successful in visiting with lots of less actives.  My favorite was when we pulled over to play basketball with some boys in the ward, who are in a part-member/semi-active family.  I challenged the boys to make sure to be at church and to be there on time to pass the sacrament.  See, sharing the gospel can be done in a fun setting too--even while playing basketball! :)

Everything else is going very well.  We have another YSA baptism coming up this Saturday!

Oh just so you know, I have had potatoes for dinner 14 times out of 27...That is more than half, people.  haha I decided to keep a tally now.  It's great.

This week I am ponderizing D&C 43:16.

And ye are to be taught from on high. Sanctify yourselves and ye shall be endowed with power, that ye may give even as I have spoken.

In order to receive teachings and power from the Lord we must sanctify, or make holy, our lives. Everyday we should try to think of something we can do to be more holy.  

The gospel is great! God is good! 

From Idaho to you,

XoXo

Sister Carling

Sister Eas is starting to teach me some Polynesian dancing. :)
 Sister Eas is also teaching me how to play the 4 string guitar, which is 
tuned like a ukulele...so pretty much a giant ukulele...haha

Sista B!!


Happy Birthday Dad!!
Dinner pic from Sister Gail Minor.

No comments:

Post a Comment